The World Health Organization’s 2017 report revealed that for every 100,000 people in the UK, 26 die from air pollution every year. That’s two times the mortality rate of the US and 64 times that of Sweden’s.
The UK government has been taking steps to remedy this problem, but if we want to be successful in this endeavor, the change that we yearn for must start at home. This is why eco houses are the ideal solution to our pollution problem.
An eco house is a paradigm of sustainability, serving the needs of its occupants without sacrificing the resources of the next generation. Eco-friendly homes aren’t just for the present generation; they’re built for the sake of our children, grandchildren, and the world that they’ll inherit.
Now more than ever, having a sustainable home that conserves resources and minimizes pollution is paramount.
Here are 6 sustainable features you can integrate to your home for the sake of the future generation:
1. Better Lighting – Replace your traditional incandescent light bulbs with energy efficient LED bulbs. Incandescent bulbs waste a lot of energy. In fact, 90% of the energy that they use is converted into heat instead of light. LEDs, on the other hand, aren’t just more energy efficient, they also last up to 25 times longer so there’s no reason not to make the switch.
2. Smart Thermostat – Installing an automated thermostat can do wonders for the energy efficiency of your home. There are new advances in smart home technology that enables occupancy detection and subsequent adjustment of your home’s temperature.
3. Quality Insulation – Even the most cutting-edge home heating system is useless in the face of bad insulation. It takes a lot of energy to generate the heat you need during the winter, so you’re literally throwing money away if your home can’t retain that precious heat.
4. Energy Efficient Appliances – With smart products flooding the market, it’s quite easy to find appliances with energy saving settings these days. Using such energy efficient appliances can result in up to a 13% reduction in your monthly energy bills.
5. Organic Garden – Planting a selection of native plants can improve the aesthetic qualities of your home and supply you with supplementary organic goods. You can even cultivate spider plants if you’re located near the highway to neutralize the pollution coming from the passing automobiles.
6. Solar Panels – Further reduce your energy bills by generating electricity from the sun through the use of solar panels. If you happen to generate more energy that you can consume, you can even sell that excess back to the main grid.
Infinity can work with you to make your home more sustainable. Talk to one of our energy advisors today: 0203 638 4030.